Fresh Installation Problems on Ubuntu 22.04 Python3.10

Hello! :wave:

I have an issue on doing a fresh install of acados Python interface. My current goal is to be able to run the minimal_example_ocp.py in its home directory as specified in this guide. As mentioned in the title I am on a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 machine using Python3.10 and I just started this process today.

I have followed the CMake installation guide without any issues. The acados dir is installed in my home directory. I then started to install the Python interface by creating a virtual environment in ~/acados:

python -m venv env
source env/bin/activate

I then installed the acados_template python package as shown in the guide:

pip install -e ~/acados/interfaces/acados_template

Then add the paths as follows in my ~/.bashrc:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"~/acados/lib"
export ACADOS_SOURCE_DIR="~/acados"

What comes next is where the issues truly arise sadly:

cd ~/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/
python minimal_example_ocp.py

Is ran, and I am greeted by three of these warnings:

WARNING: Gauss-Newton Hessian approximation with EXTERNAL cost type not possible!
got cost_type_0: EXTERNAL, hessian_approx: 'GAUSS_NEWTON.'
GAUSS_NEWTON hessian is only supported for cost_types [NON]LINEAR_LS.
If you continue, acados will proceed computing the exact hessian for the cost term.
Note: There is also the option to use the external cost module with a numerical hessian approximation (see `ext_cost_num_hess`).
OR the option to provide a symbolic custom hessian approximation (see `cost_expr_ext_cost_custom_hess`).
Warning: Please note that the following versions of CasADi are officially supported: 3.4.03.4.5 or 3.5.1 or 3.5.2 or 3.5.3 or 3.5.4 or 3.5.6 or 3.5.5 or 3.6.0 or 3.6.1 or 3.6.2 or 3.6.3 or 3.6.4.
 If there is an incompatibility with the CasADi generated code, please consider changing your CasADi version.
Version 3.6.5 currently in use.

Then I am prompted to automatically set up the Tera renderer to which I agree yes to, but am immediately given this error:

Do you wish to set up Tera renderer automatically?
y/N? (press y to download tera or any key for manual installation)
y
Creating directory ~/acados/bin
Dowloading https://github.com/acados/tera_renderer/releases/download/v0.0.34/t_renderer-v0.0.34-linux
Successfully downloaded t_renderer.
sh: 1: /home/roy/acados/bin/t_renderer: not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/roy/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/minimal_example_ocp.py", line 105, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/roy/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/minimal_example_ocp.py", line 84, in main
    ocp_solver = AcadosOcpSolver(ocp, json_file = 'acados_ocp.json')
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/acados_ocp_solver.py", line 199, in __init__
    self.generate(acados_ocp, json_file=json_file, simulink_opts=simulink_opts, cmake_builder=cmake_builder)
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/acados_ocp_solver.py", line 118, in generate
    acados_ocp.render_templates(json_file, cmake_builder=cmake_builder)
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/acados_ocp.py", line 900, in render_templates
    render_template(tup[0], tup[1], output_dir, json_path)
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/utils.py", line 292, in render_template
    raise Exception(f'Rendering of {in_file} failed!\n\nAttempted to execute OS command:\n{os_cmd}\n\n')
Exception: Rendering of main.in.c failed!

Attempted to execute OS command:
~/acados/bin/t_renderer '/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/c_templates_tera/**/*' 'main.in.c' '/home/roy/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/acados_ocp.json' 'main_pendulum_ode.c'

At this point I noticed that my ~/acados/bin is actually still empty despite the Successfully downloaded t_renderer. message appearing twice. So I do what some other posts suggested and downloaded the latest stable release, renamed it to t_renderer, gave it permissions with chmod +x t_renderer, and placed it in ~/acados/bin. I resource the acados paths as seen above.

Next I then go back to the getting_started directory and rerun the same Python script. However, I am greeted with the same error of not finding t_renderer and asking me to download/setup it:

Tera template render executable not found, while looking in path:
~/acados/bin/t_renderer
In order to be able to render the templates, you need to download the tera renderer binaries from:
https://github.com/acados/tera_renderer/releases

Pressing N of course gives me the nice instructions to do it manually, but when pressing ‘y’ the set up prompt is asked twice, and I accept both times:

y
Dowloading https://github.com/acados/tera_renderer/releases/download/v0.0.34/t_renderer-v0.0.34-linux

Tera template render executable not found, while looking in path:
~/acados/bin/t_renderer
In order to be able to render the templates, you need to download the tera renderer binaries from:
https://github.com/acados/tera_renderer/releases

y
rm -f libacados_ocp_solver_pendulum_ode.so
rm -f pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.c
acados_solver_pendulum_ode.c:37:10: fatal error: acados_c/ocp_nlp_interface.h: No such file or directory
   37 | #include "acados_c/ocp_nlp_interface.h"
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [<builtin>: acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o] Error 1
  File "/home/roy/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/minimal_example_ocp.py", line 105, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/roy/acados/examples/acados_python/getting_started/minimal_example_ocp.py", line 84, in main
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/acados_ocp_solver.py", line 231, in __init__
    self.__acados_lib = get_shared_lib(libacados_filepath, self.winmode)
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/utils.py", line 125, in get_shared_lib
    shared_lib = DllLoader(shared_lib_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/ctypes/__init__.py", line 374, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: ~/acados/lib/../lib/libacados.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

At this point this point, the system can see that I do have t_renderer but now it continuously gives back the last part of the most recent error:

rm -f libacados_ocp_solver_pendulum_ode.so
rm -f pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_0_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.o pendulum_ode_cost/pendulum_ode_cost_ext_cost_e_fun_jac_hess.c
cc -fPIC -std=c99   -O2 -I~/acados/include -I~/acados/include/acados -I~/acados/include/blasfeo/include -I~/acados/include/hpipm/include  -c -o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o acados_solver_pendulum_ode.c
acados_solver_pendulum_ode.c:37:10: fatal error: acados_c/ocp_nlp_interface.h: No such file or directory
   37 | #include "acados_c/ocp_nlp_interface.h"
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [<builtin>: acados_solver_pendulum_ode.o] Error 1
    main()
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/acados_ocp_solver.py", line 231, in __init__
    self.__acados_lib = get_shared_lib(libacados_filepath, self.winmode)
  File "/home/roy/acados/interfaces/acados_template/acados_template/utils.py", line 125, in get_shared_lib
    shared_lib = DllLoader(shared_lib_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/ctypes/__init__.py", line 374, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: ~/acados/lib/../lib/libacados.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This missing acados_c/ocp_nlp_interface.h error persists with any of the getting_started python scripts. This was all done while I was in the env virtual environment.

I am fairly new to this whole process and the field of nonlinear optimal control. I am very much excited to learn! I apologize if my post is too verbose, I was hoping to be as detailed as possible so that the problem I am having would be clear.

Thank you very much to anyone who replies and to anyone in the future who has similar problems I wish you the best of luck!

Hi,

thanks for the feedback!
Regarding the error you get:

It seems that acados is not properly installed.
Did your cmake installation process work correctly?
If yes, there should be a file ~/acados/lib/libacados.so. Can you check what is in ~/acados/lib?

Regarding your other points:
I agree that the Warning about external cost together with Gauss-Newton Hessian is not ideal for the minimal example.
I will modify it to use the nonlinear least-squares formulation.

I removed the warning about CasADi 3.6.5 in Fix make build system adding DDP source, recommend CMake by FreyJo · Pull Request #1134 · acados/acados · GitHub

I am not sure why the automatic download for t_renderer does not work for some people, I can not reproduce this, download issues · Issue #10 · acados/tera_renderer · GitHub

Best,
Jonathan

Thank you for the response!

Here is my ls result for ~/acados/lib:

cmake          libhpipm.so  libqdldl.a       libqpOASES_e.so.3.1
libacados.so   libosqp.a    libqdldl.so      link_libs.json
libblasfeo.so  libosqp.so   libqpOASES_e.so

To help with debugging this strange issue I am currently trying to install acados on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine along with completely reinstalling my Ubuntu 22.04 to try again on another fresh installation. I will let you know if I can reproduce these same errors and see what else I can find out.

Thank you!

Hm, and did you check that the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set correctly to contain that directory?
Ubuntu 22.04 and 20.04 are both well tested with acados.

I just fixed the problem, though the solution was rather silly on my end. I ended up changing:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"~/acados/lib"
export ACADOS_SOURCE_DIR="~/acados"

to

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"/home/user/acados/lib"
export ACADOS_SOURCE_DIR="/home/user/acados"

and it all worked! Apologies about this small mistake on my end. Thank you though for your time and help!